FREE PRINTABLE: LOW CARB & KETO FOOD LISTGET IT NOW
This post may contain affiliate links, which help keep this content free. (Full disclosure)
When you’re cutting carbs, it can feel like you’re missing out on your favorite foods — but with keto overnight oats, you won’t have to miss out on a classic breakfast! Much like my original keto oatmeal recipe, low carb overnight oats come together quick and easy for a sweet and satsifying meal you can prep ahead of time.
What Are Overnight Oats?
Overnight oats are a method for preparing oatmeal. The main difference is that instead of cooking the oats with a stove or microwave, they soak overnight in liquid to soften.
Like hot oats, they have a slightly chewy consistency and they’re easy to customize with all your favorite oatmeal toppings.
Are overnight oats keto friendly?
Traditional overnight oats are not keto, as oats have too many carbs per serving size. But there’s good news: It’s just as easy to make low carb overnight oats with a few simple ingredients!
Ingredients For Low Carb Overnight Oats
This section explains how to make overnight oats keto friendly, what each ingredient does in the recipe, and substitution options. For measurements, see the recipe card below.
- Hemp Hearts – These little seeds help make low carb high protein overnight oats. Plus, they create a soft and chewy texture similar to traditional oats.
- Golden Flaxseed Meal – Helps thicken the “oat” mixture, and adds a toasted flavor reminiscent of real oats.
- Chia Seeds – Adds satisfying fiber and fats, and also acts as a thickener.
- Heavy Cream – Makes creamy overnight keto oats! For a dairy-free option, try full-fat coconut milk instead.
- Unsweetened Almond Milk – Make homemade almond milk, use store-bought, or swap with a different keto milk choice.
- Besti Monk Fruit Allulose Blend – If you like your “oats” sweet, this sweetener gives them just-like-sugar taste, and it dissolves well for no gritty texture. If you prefer unsweetened overnight oats, simply omit.
- Sea Salt – It’s optional, but enhances the flavor when your low carb oats sit overnight.
How To Make Keto Overnight Oats
This section shows how to make keto overnight oats with step-by-step photos and details about the technique. For full instructions, see the recipe card below.
- Stir dry ingredients. Add hemp seeds, flaxseed meal, chia seeds, sweetener (if using), and salt (if using) to a jar. Stir to combine.
- Add liquids. Pour cream and milk into the jar and stir to combine.
- Cover. Place a lid on the jar and refrigerate for a minimum of 4 hours (but ideally overnight).
- Serve. Stir the “oat” mixture. Add extra toppings to easy keto overnight oats if desired, or serve plain.
Toppings & Flavor Ideas
Not only can you make overnight oats keto, you can also customize them! Try these flavor combos to add a little variety to your overnight oats keto recipe:
- Peanut butter & jelly – Peanut butter & sugar-free jelly
- Maple pecan – Keto maple syrup & chopped pecans
- Almond joy – Unsweetened coconut flakes, sliced almonds, and sugar-free dark chocolate chips
- Strawberries & cream – Fresh sliced strawberries and sugar-free whipped cream
- Lemon poppy seed – Extra Besti, lemon zest, and poppy seeds
- Pumpkin spice – Pumpkin puree, pumpkin spice, and keto maple syrup instead of Besti
- Double berry – Raspberries & blueberries (or any combination of berries you like)
- Coconut vanilla – Vanilla extract or fresh vanilla beans, coconut cream instead of heavy cream, and shredded unsweetened coconut
The best part about healthy low carb overnight oats is that you can make them ahead! Cover portions and store in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Can you freeze keto overnight oats?
You can freeze these keto oats, but the texture will change slightly depending on the toppings. Freeze in a muffin tin or individual freezer-safe containers, then thaw overnight before serving.
Do you warm up overnight oats?
You can warm up overnight oats if you like, but they’re best served cold.
More Keto Breakfast Recipes
Need more easy make-ahead keto breakfasts? Try these recipes!
- Almond Flour Pancakes
- Keto Yogurt – Pair it with low carb granola!
- Raspberry Chia Pudding – With a prep method very similar to high protein low carb overnight oats!
- Keto Bagels
Keto Overnight Oats Recipe:
Pin to save for later!
Reader Favorite Recipes
The recipe card is below! Readers that made this also viewed these recipes:
Keto Overnight Oats Recipe
Low carb keto overnight oats are an oat-free take on a popular breakfast! The base recipe needs just 5 ingredients, plus make 8 flavors with easy add-ins.
Recipe VideoTap on the image below to watch the video.
Like this video? Subscribe to my YouTube cooking channel for healthy recipes weekly! (Click the bell icon to be notified when I post a new video.)
Tap underlined ingredients to see where to get them. Please turn Safari reader mode OFF to view ingredients.
Optional but recommended:
Tap on the times in the instructions below to start a kitchen timer while you cook.
In a jar, stir together the hemp seeds, flaxseed meal, chia seeds, Besti, and sea salt.
Stir in the cream and milk.
Cover the jar with a lid and refrigerate for at least 4 hours, or preferably overnight.
Stir well before serving. Enjoy plain, or top with add-ins (see blog post for flavor ideas).
Last Step: Leave A Rating!
Serving size: ~1/2 cup, or 1/2 recipe
Video Showing How To Make Keto Overnight Oats:
Tap here to jump to the video for this recipe — it’s located directly above the ingredients list. It’s the easiest way to learn how to make Keto Overnight Oats!
Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy. Have questions about calculations or why you got a different result? Please see our nutrition policy.
Want to save this recipe?
Create a free account to save your favourites recipes and articles!Sign Up To Save Recipes
© Copyright Maya Krampf for Wholesome Yum. Please DO NOT SCREENSHOT OR COPY/PASTE recipes to social media or websites. We’d LOVE for you to share a link with photo instead. 🙂