This post may contain affiliate links, which help keep this content free. (Full disclosure)
I love all kinds of veggies from the oven — from golden roasted cauliflower to sweet carrots and parsnips to crispy roasted broccoli — but me tell you, there’s something special about this roasted zucchini and squash recipe. Not only do they turn out perfectly caramelized and packed with flavor, but the combination of baked zucchini and squash is the perfect way to use up lots of those summer vegetables in one go.
Why You’ll Love Roasted Zucchini And Squash
- Savory, slightly sweet flavors
- Perfectly caramelized, tender texture
- 5 simple ingredients (plus salt and pepper)
- Ready in just 15 minutes
- Easy, healthy side dish
Ingredients & Substitutions
This section explains how to choose the best ingredients for oven roasting squash and zucchini, what each one does in the recipe, and substitution options. For measurements, see the recipe card below.
- Zucchini And Squash – Slice both types of summer squash into uniform 1/2-inch thick circles. You could also do it with just one or the other, or follow my recipes for roasted zucchini (cut a different way) or yellow squash instead.
- Olive Oil – Adds flavor, promotes browning, and helps the seasonings stick. You can also use avocado oil or coconut oil for this roasted squash and zucchini recipe.
- Italian Seasoning – I make my own homemade Italian seasoning with a combination of dried oregano, marjoram, basil, thyme, rosemary, and sage. It takes just 5 minutes! Store bought mix will work as well, or you could just use one or two types of these dried herbs alone.
- Garlic Powder – This works best for roasting squash, since fresh garlic is likely to burn when roasting at pretty high heat.
- Sea Salt & Black Pepper
How To Cook Squash And Zucchini In The Oven
This section shows how to cook zucchini and squash, with step-by-step photos and details about the technique, to help you visualize it. For full instructions, including amounts and temperatures, see the recipe card below.
- Season. In a large bowl, drizzle the veggies with olive oil. Season with Italian seasoning, garlic powder, sea salt, and black pepper. Toss to coat.
- Arrange. Place the squash in a single layer on a large baking sheet.
- Roast. Bake in the oven until tender.
- Broil (optional). Place the roasted zucchini and squash under the broiler for a few minutes to make them more browned and crispy.
This roasted squash and zucchini recipe is simple and basic, but you can easily change it up for different flavors:
- Spicy – Sprinkle veggies with chili powder, cayenne pepper, or crushed red pepper flakes along with the other seasonings. You could even use a teaspoon of Cajun seasoning instead.
- Citrus – Add 1-2 tablespoons of lemon juice and/or a teaspoon of lemon zest at the same time as the olive oil. You can also simply sprinkle the zucchini and squash with lemon pepper seasoning before roasting.
- Onions – Toss some coarsely chopped onions together with the squash, then roast them all together. The onions will start to caramelize!
- Herby – While this baked zucchini and squash recipe already includes dried herbs, you get a more herby feel if you use fresh. You can replace the dried herbs with 1/2 to 1 tablespoon fresh, or just sprinkle fresh herbs on top after roasting (in addition to the dried herbs before roasting).
- Buttery – Add a tablespoon of unsalted butter and let it melt after roasting. This adds a buttery flavor without the risk of burning in the oven.
- Cheesy – After adding oil and seasonings, toss with grated parmesan before roasting. (This would be similar to my air fryer zucchini recipe, but you can do it with mixed squash and use the oven, too.)
- Store: Keep leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days.
- Reheat: For the fastest option, place the veggies in a microwave-safe dish, cover with a damp paper towel, and heat on high until warm. You can also bake squash and zucchini in the oven to reheat them, at 350 degrees F, or even warm them up in the air fryer.
Can You Freeze Squash And Zucchini?
Yes, you can freeze roasted zucchini and squash. Arrange in a single layer on a parchment lined baking sheet and freeze until solid, then transfer to a zip lock bag and store in the freezer for up to 3 months. If you want to freeze the veggies raw, you’ll need to blanch them first. Learn how to freeze zucchini here (and yellow squash can use the same method).
What To Serve With Squash And Zucchini Recipes
Zucchini and squash recipes go with just about anything! Here are some reader favorite recipes that go well with them:
- Chicken – The smoky and slightly sweet flavors of roasted vegetables pair wonderfully with juicy paprika chicken or lemon garlic chicken. You can also keep it super simple with a healthy baked chicken breast or chicken leg quarters.
- Seafood – Roasted zucchini and squash go with just about any fish, such as grilled salmon or baked cod, for a contrasting flavor and texture. Seared scallops also work well for a special meal.
- Steak – Try a seared ribeye or a marinated flank steak for a hearty and satisfying meal.
- Noodles – Toss with your favorite pasta (or spaghetti squash), garlic, olive oil, and grated Parmesan cheese for a simple side dish or vegetarian main dish.
- Salad – Substitute baked zucchini and squash in butternut squash salad, or serve it with sun-dried tomatoes and feta over an arugula salad.
More Zucchini And Squash Recipes
If you’re looking for more ways to enjoy the flavor of zucchini and squash, try these recipes next. All of them can be made with one or both of these veggies!
Roasted Zucchini And Squash Recipe
Roasted Zucchini and Squash (Easy!)
This roasted zucchini and squash recipe is baked to perfection and seasoned with Italian seasoning and garlic powder. Just 15 minutes!
Tap underlined ingredients to see where to get them. Please turn Safari reader mode OFF to view ingredients.
Tap on the times in the instructions below to start a kitchen timer while you cook.
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F (218 degrees C).
In a large bowl, drizzle the sliced zucchini and squash with olive oil. Season with Italian seasoning, garlic powder, sea salt and black pepper. Toss to coat.
Arrange the vegetables in a single layer on a large baking sheet (half sheet pan, about 12”x17”). (You can line it with parchment paper first, or simply spray with cooking spray.)
Roast zucchini and squash in the oven for 10-12 minutes, until tender.
Optional step: If you want the zucchini browned more, broil for 3-6 minutes.
Last Step: Leave A Rating!
Share your recipe picture by tagging @wholesomeyum and hashtag it #wholesomeyum on Instagram – I’d love to see it!
Serving size: 1 cup
Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy. Have questions about calculations or why you got a different result? Please see our nutrition policy.
Want to save this recipe?
Create a free account to save your favorite recipes!Sign Up To Save Recipes
© Copyright Maya Krampf for Wholesome Yum. Please DO NOT SCREENSHOT OR COPY/PASTE recipes to social media or websites. We’d LOVE for you to share a link with photo instead. 🙂