This post may contain affiliate links, which help keep this content free. (Full disclosure)
This keto nachos recipe is totally munch-able and most definitely crave-worthy. The best part about these low carb nachos is that the ingredients are so simple. You probably have them on hand right now. Shredded chicken, cheese, veggies, and spices are all you need to create these gorgeous, colorful keto friendly nachos. Mexican night never tasted so good – while being good for you at the same time.
This keto nachos recipe was originally published on May 26, 2016, and was republished in April 2020 to add better photos, useful tips and answer common questions.
Are Nachos Keto Friendly?
Regular nachos are not keto friendly, since they use tortilla chips made with corn or wheat. Which is precisely why we needed our own keto friendly nachos!
While nachos out at restaurants are too high in carbs, nachos on keto are possible with this recipe! They’re also super delicious and made with wholesome, healthy ingredients.
Cheese crisps make easy, delicious keto nacho chips, and the toppings are naturally low in carbs. You can definitely eat these keto nachos while sticking to your keto diet.
How To Make Keto Nacho Chips
I kept this low carb nacho recipe super simple by using shredded cheddar and this method for cheddar cheese crisps. Essentially, you make mounds of shredded cheese on parchment paper and bake until crispy. You’ll want to use only cheddar instead of the cheddar parmesan blend I used at that link (cheddar is a better flavor pairing for nachos), but the process is exactly the same.
I have some tips for you for making the best keto nacho chips, as well as some variations:
- Cheese can be shredded or sliced. If you have cheese slices on hand, you can make nacho chips with them just as easily as shredded. Cut them into 1-inch squares, space them 2 inches apart on parchment paper, and bake. Just make sure that the cheese is pre-sliced, or otherwise slice it using a mandolin, because it’s critical for these to be thin and uniform in size.
- Add chip seasonings if you like. I kept my chips simple with just plain cheese, since the toppings are seasoned, but feel free to season the chips as well. Simple sprinkle seasonings of your choice on top of the cheese pieces or shreds before baking the chips. Chili powder and garlic powder are the most common, or even a little cumin.
- Make your low carb nacho chips as either rounds or triangles. I made my chips into circles, which is how they spread naturally and find that’s the least amount of work. But if you want a triangle shape, you can bake an entire sheet of cheese (no spaces between), and then once cooled, slice diagonally in opposite directions to cut into triangles.
- Watch closely. Watch the low carb nacho chips closely when they are in the oven! Since they’re all cheese, low carb cheese crisp nachos can go from gooey to burned in a matter of seconds. Five minutes was the perfect amount of time in my oven, but yours may vary. Start with five minutes and add more as needed gradually.
- Bake until golden brown. The low carb nacho chips are done when the edges are starting to brown but the center is still bright orange and sizzling. Don’t worry, the bright orange center will crisp up as they cool. Don’t wait for the entire chip to turn brown, because by then they will taste burnt.
If you like this method for making keto nachos with cheese, you’ll probably also like the cheese taco shells I make in a similar way.
How To Make Keto Nachos
Once you have the chips ready, it’s time to make some keto friendly nachos with them!
- Make nacho topping. Dice cooked chicken, avocado, tomatoes, and onions. Mix the spices together, then stir into chicken mixture.
- Assemble keto friendly nachos. Top cheese chips with spoonfuls of the chicken then a bit of mozzarella cheese.
- Bake very briefly. Put them in the oven for just a couple of minutes, or until cheese on the top has melted – but not longer.
IMPORTANT: Be careful to not bake them too long, or the cheese chips will melt!
Topping Ideas For Keto Friendly Nachos
I topped these keto friendly nachos with a combination of chicken, avocado, tomato, onion, and spices. Why did I do it this way? So that the melted cheese on top forms a seal around the toppings and keeps them stuck to the chips, for easier eating.
But you can also add fresh toppings once they come out of the oven, too! Either way, here are some topping ideas for keto diet nachos:
- Cooked chicken – I usually make Instant Pot shredded chicken, since it’s so quick!
- Ground taco meat – If you want keto nachos with beef instead of chicken, simply brown a pound of ground beef, add 1/4 cup water and 2 tablespoons taco seasoning, and cook until the extra moisture evaporates. Use the same method I used for the meat in taco salad.
- Shredded lettuce
- Diced onion
- Sliced black olives
- Fresh tomato salsa – Or any other salsa you like, such as avocado salsa or even hot sauce
- Sour cream
- Guacamole – Best. Guac. Ever.
- Keto cheese sauce – This is probably too much when you already are using cheese chips, but if you decide to use almond flour tortilla chips, cheese sauce will pair great with those.
More Keto Mexican Recipes
Love Mexican food? You’ll want to check out all the different ways to make keto tacos, plus some of the most popular reader-fave keto Mexican recipes:
- Keto Taco Casserole – Made in a slow cooker, for an easy hands-off meal using pantry ingredients.
- Keto Tamales – With a mouthwatering masa, and no corn!
- Mexican Poblano Peppers – Stuffed with chicken and cheese, these stuffed peppers have a very similar flavor profile to this keto chicken nachos recipe.
- The Best Carne Asada – Complete with method for cooking the steak and the most amazing marinade.
- Beef Barbacoa – Super easy, super flavorful, and perfect over a Mexican salad or even cauliflower rice.
- 7-Layer Taco Dip – Perfect for making ahead! Great for a party, but also awesome for lunch.
Low Carb Keto Nachos Recipe With Spicy Chicken
Low Carb Keto Nachos Recipe With Spicy Chicken
The best keto nachos recipe needs no specialty ingredients! 30-minute low carb nachos are made on cheesy chips and smothered with a taco seasoned chicken mix.
Tap underlined ingredients to see where to get them. Please turn Safari reader mode OFF to view ingredients.
Tap on the times in the instructions below to start a kitchen timer while you cook.
Make cheese crisps according to the instructions here - skip the Italian seasoning and just use 1 1/2 cups cheddar as written in the ingredients above. If using cheese slices, you'll cut each large slice into 4 squares and bake those instead. Set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, finely dice the chicken, avocado, tomatoes, and onions. Mix the spices together (garlic salt, paprika, cumin, and cayenne pepper), then stir into the chicken mixture.
After the chips have cooled for at least 15 minutes and are crispy, top them with spoonfuls of the chicken mixture. Sprinkle a couple shreds of mozzarella cheese on top of each chip.
If desired, place in the oven for a couple of minutes, just enough to melt the mozzarella cheese on top. Check on them often, and don't heat them too long, or the chips will melt.
Last Step: Leave A Rating!
Serving size: 6 large chips with toppings
Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy. Have questions about calculations or why you got a different result? Please see our nutrition policy.
Want to save this recipe?
Create a free account to save your favorite recipes!Sign Up To Save Recipes
© Copyright Maya Krampf for Wholesome Yum. Please DO NOT SCREENSHOT OR COPY/PASTE recipes to social media or websites. We'd LOVE for you to share a link with photo instead. 🙂